Progress Reports - U13 Tournaments

October 11, 2018

Boys – Hatch Cup at Nelson

Wellington made a strong start to their 2018 campaign with a 4-1 win over Manawatu. They scored two goals in each half to Noam McKay, Zane Yeo, Karsten Hill and Jake Baker. Canterbury scored in the first minute of their second game that night and while Karsten Hill grabbed the equaliser before half-time, Canterbury went on to win 3-1.

The next day they hammered Marlborough 8-0 after being 5-0 up at halftime. Camron Neilson scored three goals, all from penalty corners, Karsten Hill and Oliver Bowmar scored two each and James O’Brien one right at the death.

On Wednesday the much-anticipated clash with unbeaten Auckland ended in a scoreless draw, with neither side able to take advantage of their scoring chances. In the last game of the round that evening two goals to Ollie Bowmar in the first five minutes and later strikes to Aryan Vallabh and Zane Yeo took Wellington to a deserved 4-2 win over Otago. With Auckland hanging on to beat Canterbury 4-3, it meant Wellington finished second to the northerners in their pool and made it into the top eight. Their first play-off game is on Thursday afternoon against North Harbour who have won their five games so far.

The Wellington B team lost their first game to the slick-looking North Harbour side 4-0, then were leading Southland 2-1 before conceding three late goals and going down 4-2. Tane Falconer and Keenan Ranchhod were Wellington’s goal-scorers. On Tuesday they held Counties-Manukau to a single goal at half-time before losing 4-0.

They also played well on Wednesday morning when they restricted the strong Hawkes Bay side to 0-1 mid-way through the second half, before going down 0-3. Again in their evening game, they were level with Central Otago at half-time only to be beaten by the same score as earlier. They finished fifth in their pool and their next game is against Otago who also finished fifth in theirs, having had just one win.

Girls – Collier Trophy at Albany

Wellington have finished third in their group, just a point behind second placed Counties-Manukau after having two wins, two draws and a loss to pool leaders Hawkes Bay. That was in their first game when they went down 4-1 after Hawkes Bay were ahead 3-0 at half-time. Millie Jenkins scored for Wellington. Later the same day Stacee Collett, Kate Johnson and captain Amy McHardy scored three first-half goals as Wellington defeated Counties-Manukau 3-0.

On Tuesday they drew 1-1 with Marlborough after Kaelin Spence scored first and Marlborough equalised before half-time.

Against Mid-Canterbury early on Wednesday morning Amy McHardy and Stacee Collett scored late goals to secure a 2-2 draw after Wellington had been down 0-1 at half-time. On Wednesday afternoon they had a good 2-0 win over hosts North Harbour with Maadi Ngamanu scoring in the first half and Kate Johnson in the second.

This put them in the group to play for ninth to 16th place and their next game will be against Taranaki on Thursday morning.