P1 Round 10 Report

June 26, 2018

P1 Games – 23 June 2018

All games in round 10 were played at the National Hockey Stadium, with several teams being affected by the absence of Under-18 rep players and coaches.  Most of the games were closely contested with some enterprising hockey played in fine conditions.

The Northern United men’s team upset competition leaders Farriers Dalefield 3-2 in an intriguing game.  Northern started strongly with Jainesh Shantilal scoring after just four minutes.  Rowan Yeo replied from a penalty corner late in the first quarter. Jack Boon’s neat deflection put Northern back in front in the third quarter, only for Nick Finlayson to equalise immediately.  Finlayson and Rowan Yeo tried hard for Dalefield who sometimes looked disjointed without playmaker Dane Lett.  Northern continued to push forward and a goal to their captain Ethan Kerruish after a dangerous solo run gave Northern the deserved winner.

Hutt United dismissed Hutt Valley rivals Naenae with an emphatic 6-3 win in a game that started in daylight and ended under lights.  Sunny Schaller had the maroon and reds ahead after nine minutes and Naenae captain Eden McCabe brought his side level soon afterwards. A second quarter penalty corner strike by Ollie Logan and a field goal to Scott Barnett one minute later gave United a buffer, which Ollie MacIntyre extended from a penalty corner early in the second half.  McCabe narrowed the gap, but MacIntyre and Logan both scored their second goals to make the game safe for United, before Nick Tweed added Naenae’s third in the final minute.

Sporting Edge Harbour City went out to a 4-0 lead against Team Medical Kapiti and were looking at a bonus point win before Kapiti’s late counter-attack almost drew them level.  Harbour started strongly and Luke Armstrong put them ahead after just three minutes.  He doubled the lead with a penalty stroke in the second quarter, then Josh Symonds made it 3-0 just prior to halftime.  Jared Jones extended Harbour’s lead just after the break and Kapiti looked to be well beaten.  Their drought was broken with a fine strike from the edge of the circle by Reece Gilden and he scored again in the final stanza as the pace of the game picked up markedly.  Mike Richardson scored Kapiti’s third from a penalty corner with five minutes left and Harbour were pleased to hear the siren go with no more damage done.

The depleted Sporting Edge Harbour City women’s team had a slightly more comfortable 4-1 win over Green Man Victoria but it took some time to get on top of the determined students.  Sam Peade for Harbour and Vic’s Katie Fraser exchanged early goals and things remained tight until well into the third quarter.  Peade again, the impressive Estelle Macadre and Maddie Simmonds, who was back after injury, ensured the final margin was a comfortable one.  Capital striker Felicity Reidy, playing her first game of the season, and Charlotte Eastman caused plenty of problems up front for the winners.

Hutt United women’s team were missing a number of regular players but there was still plenty of quality on display and they prevailed 4-1 over Team Medical Kapiti.  Ani Roberts made a welcome return after illness and she scored the first goal.  Kapiti played with their usual resolve with Emily Periam and goal-keeper Megan Render to the fore, but the Hutt Valley side drew on all their experience and were seldom threatened.  Angie Leckie did score for Kapiti late in the game but Hutt United had done enough to retain a share of second place with three games to go.



Hutt United 6 (Ollie Logan 2, Ollie MacIntyre 2, Sunny Schaller, Scott Barnett) Naenae 3 (Eden McCabe 2, Nick Tweed) HT 2-1

Nothern United 3 (Jainesh Shantilal, Jack Boon, Ethan Kerruish) Dalefield 3 (Rowan Yeo, Nick Finlayson) HT 1-1


Teams marked * have had a bye and been awarded 4 points.

Dalefield 31*, Hutt United 26*, Victoria 19*, Naenae 16, Northern United 15, Harbour City 15, Kapiti 7.


Hutt United 4 (Ani Roberts, Lucy Cooper, Esther Chan, Teresa Warner) Kapiti 1 (Angie Leckie) HT 2-0

Harbour City 4 (Sam Peade 2, Estelle Macadre, Maddie Simmonds) Victoria 1 (Katie Fraser) HT 2-1

Last week Dalefield had beaten Toa 5-0


Teams marked * have had a bye and been awarded 4 points.

Dalefield 31*, Harbour City 29, Hutt United 29, Victoria 22*, Toa 9, Karori 8*, Kapiti 5