WHA EXTEND SQUAD
WHA EXTEND Squad
This is a new programme that will be introduced for 2020. We have identified the need to work closer and more regularly with our most talented athletes across the season to best support them for performance at key events and to develop their holistic competency in preparation for potential higher honours later down the track. This programme is total athlete focused, providing critical support in areas of physical and mental development as well as hockey specific. Hockey NZ have also expressed their intentions to shift to a more individualised approach to athlete development with the introduction of the new Performance Network, placing less significance on team trainings and ensuring athletes experience quality and value in their training week. The EXTEND Squad will mirror the principles of the Hockey NZ Performance Network, providing a seamless transition point for those fortunate athletes to progress post school. We feel this programme will be of significant value to those athletes involved and will provide them with the best opportunity to succeed in hockey in the short and long term. This programme won’t be for everyone, athletes that are highly aspirational and committed to be their best will align well.
- Regular Squad sessions (1-2/week) over the course of the season from April-September
- Selection group of up to 15 athletes (total) – selection made by 28 February based on 2019 information and the first 3 weeks of Summer Programme
- Physical testing, strength and conditioning programming, movement competency/injury prevention assessments
- Athlete workshops
- Video review sessions (1 on 1 video review from athletes matches/trainings)
- Athlete Loading and Wellbeing tracking
Confirmed details of the EXTEND Squad will be communicated in the new year and registrations will open in January so athletes can make an informed decision before applying.