Wellington representative teams participate in the national masters tournament every year. We are fielding 6 men’s teams and 2 women’s teams for the upcoming national tournament in Hamilton 3rd to 9th March 2019.
Masters players participate in grades set up to 5 year increments from 35 through to 65 for both women and men. To qualify for an age grade bracket, you need to at the required minimum age sometime during the calendar year of the tournament.
Qualification is automatic through having played in the wellington open grade competition during winter 2018 and/or played in the summer masters competition 2018.
Wellington Masters Hockey realise that some out of region Masters participants do not have their age representation in home associations, if they even have a team at all. Wellington provides an eligibility pathway for these participants for selection through participation in our Masters summer competition or playing in the team selection trial. All out of region eligible players will be required to complete the guest player form before participation at national tournament).
Trials were held for the men’s teams on Sunday 18th November and for the women’s teams on Sunday 25th November.
Teams have been selected from players participating at the trials and/or during summer masters – plus in some circumstances, when distance does not permit participation in either, selection based on previous form for Wellington teams (this applies to players from previous years that are based in Australia or Otago for instance). Team selectors moderated selections as a group.
If selectorial negotiation fails, WHA review and decision will prevail.
Any available Wellington player not selected is free to approach other regional teams for selection.
COACH: Leah Murphy
MANAGER: Jane Hirst
Ana May Gunsell
COACH: Nicky Sherriff
Bev Robinson (non-travelling reserve)
WOMEN'S TRAINING TIMES:
Thursdays - NHS 630pm - 7.30pm
Sundays - Maidstone 4pm - 5pm
Warren Steven Bell
Rahul Watson Govindan
Ed Rafferty (GK)
MEN'S TRAINING TIMES:
TRAINING STARTS TUESDAY 22 JAN
Tuesdays - NHS 6pm - 7pm
Sundays - NHS 6pm - 7pm
Preparation and Tournament
Upon selection, all players will be required to pay a $150 deposit to WHA. This deposit will be used to reimburse WHA for the accommodation holding costs.
Additional pre-tournament costs will be:
- Your playing shirt – provided by WHA at your cost. It’s yours for eternity (as long as you can still fit it). Cost $40
- WHA socks if you need them. $20/pr (Black is the playing colour – with yellow as alternative strip)
- Black shorts/skirt
Tournament costs will be:
- Accommodation for 7 nights in Hamilton. Team managers have already booked this because accommodation in Hamilton over tournament period is scarce. Expect individual costs to be $450-650 for the week depending on where you will be staying. It is expected that you will stay with your team but other arrangements may be considered in conjunction with your team manager.
- Some teams will be in accommodation with cooking facilities and some will not – food costs may vary.
- Transport to and from tournament.
- Transport to and from the turf. Some teams will use car allocation for this and others may hire a team van for the week.
The tournament team entry fee is paid by WHA from deposit funds.
If you have any questions in regards to Masters Hockey please contact Wellington Hockey on firstname.lastname@example.org